Thursday 24 April 2014

Viola Davis used to search bins for food

Viola Davis used to search bins for food


Viola Davis admits she was so ashamed of her childhood because she would jump in rubbish bins to find food and steal from corner shops to cure her hunger.


 Viola Davis used to search through the bins for food.

The Oscar-nominated actress admits she's ashamed of her childhood as a result of she was therefore poor growing up that she would steal from her local search and hunt through rubbish.

She explained to PEOPLE.com: ''I was one of these children who grew up hungry. I'm 48 years old now, and it's solely been recently that I will admit that I would jump in trash bins looking for food and i would steal from the corner store as a result of I was hungry. I would go to sleep in school each day as a result of we had nothing.''

The brunette beauty, who grew up in Central Falls, Rhode Island, additionally never invited her friends spherical to her home once school as a result of it absolutely was located in a very run-down area and was infested with vermin.

She explained: ''My house was a condemned building - it had been boarded up and infested with rats.''

However, Viola has currently teamed up with the Safeway Foundation and the Entertainment Industry Foundation for the 'Hunger Is' campaign to help raise funds to beat childhood hunger and facilitate children achieve their goals.

Viola, who has five siblings, said: ''I am the first generation of my family to travel to varsity. Those programs made all the distinction on behalf of me. It's been cathartic for me as a result of I forever had a lot of shame with stepping into the rubbish dumps that had maggots in it, too. It has brought healing in my life to be able to talk regarding it.''

No comments:

Post a Comment